Open to beginners, this class includes long-term members who translate using grammar aids, lexicons and commentaries, enjoying how the Greek text reveals nuance and depth in scripture.
First-time visitors can drop-in and need no previous knowledge of Greek. Newcomer classes begin with alphabet and pronunciation practice prior to translation. For more information, contact the Rev. Dr. Thee Smith, 404-365-1093.
Classes meet on Sundays from 1:15-2:45 p.m., in-person in room 239 and via Zoom.
Since 2008 we have offered these New Testament Greek classes in the context of a faith community that offers Bible study for learners and seekers at all levels of inquiry. We are visitor friendly and welcome drop-ins with little or no language skills or background.
We began providing both in-person classes and remote access via Zoom when we returned to church in 2022 following the height of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Get your DAILY DOSE OF GREEK!
Don’t yet have the 2-minute video waiting for you in your email inbox every morning?
Our source is Rob Plummer, New Testament professor at Southern Seminary, Louisville, KY. DailyDoseofGreek.com provides ongoing encouragement and accountability for anyone eager to read the Greek New Testament daily and progress in Greek skills.
2 minute account of the Codex Sinaiticus, the key manuscript of the Christian Bible, obtained for the British Library by Constantine Tischendorf in the 1800s.
Listen with Greek texts in-hand and enjoy! To hear Greek recordings, follow these three steps on your phone:
- Dial 1-641-715-3800
- Input access code 52947#
- Input extension for weekly Sunday lesson readings, or other extensions for additional readings listed below.
Selections from the Prologue to the Gospel of John
- EXT. 5 – John 1.1-5, 14 – In the beginning was the Word...
- EXT. 9 – Greek Alphabet audio recording excerpted from a Greek pronunciation website.
Feast of St. Francis
- EXT. 22 – Gospel – Matthew 11:25-30 – English (interlinear trans.) and Greek (read twice)
- EXT. 23 – Epistle – Galatians 6:14-18 – English (interlinear trans.) and Greek (read twice)
Feast of St. Philip, Deacon and Evangelist
- EXT. 24 – Gospel – Matthew 28:18-20 – English (interlinear trans.) and Greek (read twice)
- EXT. 25 – Epistle – Acts 8.26-40 – English (interlinear trans.) and Greek (read twice)
NOTE: For other, more fluent (fast!) and professional audio recordings of biblical Greek go to the LetsReadGreek website. The first three recordings on this website (by Marilyn Phemister, David Field, and John Simon) are free.
For more information, contact the Rev. Dr. Thee Smith, 404-365-1093.