From the Dean
The Very Reverend Samuel G. Candler
Can I Attend Church? Some Cathedral Principles of Good Health!
June 6, 2021
I thank God for the amazing development of COVID-19 vaccinations in the past year! The large number of vaccinated people has enabled our church, our city, and our country to relax many of this past year’s safety protocols. Thank you!
As many of you have read, I have regretted that the Christian Church has so often been put in the position of police officer, and insurance agent, this past year! But, so it goes, for everyone. Thank you for your faithfulness and patience. All of us have been trying to proclaim and live out the gospel of Jesus Christ in a stressful and traumatic year. We acknowledge that we are fatigued. But we also acknowledge that so many of us, fully vaccinated, are ready to resume in-person community!
Therefore, in grace, and excellence, and hospitality, the Cathedral of St. Philip this week proclaims these principles of safety and health. We want people to gather, and we want people to be healthy and safe
1. The Cathedral of St. Philip urges everyone to be vaccinated!
2. The Cathedral of St. Philip welcomes all people to worship, in-person, with us!
3. If you are not fully vaccinated, we ask you to wear a mask when you are inside the Cathedral. This is for your safety! And, particularly for the safety of our children! When you are safe, those around you are also safe. We want a safe and healthy community.
4. The Cathedral will not require people to wear a mask inside if they have been fully vaccinated.
5. The Cathedral will no longer ask people to register for in-person services. You can wake up late on Sunday and come to church at the last minute!
6. The Cathedral will soon resume live-streaming our Sunday services at 8:45 and 11:15. At that point, we will no longer be producing a pre-recorded online service.
Some of us have been rejoicing almost every month! Last September, we were able to return to outdoor worship services (Koinonia services with wind and fire!). This past March, we were able to return to indoor worship services, wearing masks. Our fully vaccinated choir began singing inside last month. Thank you for joining us in those times, and in online times, and in video conference times.
The times, they are a changing again. It’s summertime, and many people will be inevitably taking a break or two. If you are tired, please give yourself a break. Be healthy. “First, no judgement” is also a Cathedral principle of health! We exist for grace, excellence, and hospitality. And good health epitomizes all those values. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for practicing good health!
The Very Rev. Sam Candler
Dean of the Cathedral of St. Philip