Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries
The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries will be a leader in the Cathedral community – a difficult, complex, and extremely satisfying undertaking.
The Cathedral of St. Philip is one of the largest parishes of the Episcopal Church, with over 6000 active members and associates. Situated prominently in Buckhead, one of Atlanta’s classic neighborhoods, the Cathedral Parish is called to minister in at least three different contexts: a faithful and complex parish, the energetic city of Atlanta, and the wider world itself. Those communities contain a diversity of theological, socioeconomic, and racial character. The Cathedral Parish of St. Philip, then, proclaims itself a church for all people and is called simultaneously to express the excellence of a seasoned classical tradition and the creative energy of new and contemporary Christianity.
Within this lively and multifaceted community, the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries will be primarily responsible for building community and nurturing the faith formation of youth (6th – 12th grade). This includes working with parents and recruiting and supporting adult volunteers. Additionally, the Director will be responsible for fostering growth and community among Cathedral Young Adults, including fellowship, service, and newcomer recruitment.
- Relationship and Community: Build community among and faith-based relationships with Cathedral youth and young adults.
- Communication: Create and manage communications with youth and their families (currently, this includes weekly youth emails, maintenance of youth website and Instagram, and production of monthly calendars). Make sure that all programs and events are well promoted.
- Education: Nurture a clear sense of Christian identity in youth and support parents to do the same. Oversee Sunday school, Bible study, and youth confirmation programs.
- Programming: Think theologically and strategically about youth / young-adult ministry, and develop and implement intentional programs.
- Current programs for youth, overseen by Director, include: middle- and high-school fellowship, Sunday school curriculum, Tuesday Bible studies, EYC, youth acolytes, confirmation classes, weekend retreat, lock-in, ski trip, and outreach and service opportunities.
- Parish engagement: Facilitate youth involvement and service in worship and in broader parish ministries, such as acolytes, choristers, scouts, Week of Wonder (VBS), Homeless Requiem.
- Diocesan engagement: Facilitate youth participation in Diocesan-wide youth events such as Happening.
- Develop leadership:
- Recruit, support, and meet regularly with the Cathedral Youth Leadership Team and acolyte captains, Youth Advisory Board, and other volunteers.
- Uphold policies and practices to maintain a safe environment for youth and volunteers.
- Ensure that all adult volunteers have completed training in Safeguarding God’s Children through the Diocese.
- Collaboration: Work collaboratively with program staff, the education team, volunteers, and parents.
- Completion of background check and training in Safeguarding God’s Children/ People
- 4+ years of experience in youth ministry
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to Canon Cathy Zappa at czappa@cathedralATL.org by June 17.